Faced with the evidence of devastating conflicts in Syria, Yemen, Ethiopia and now Ukraine, and a renewed wave of authoritarianism and populism in national politics, the roundtable ‘Strengthening democracy for more effective multilateralism’ will discuss the following questions:
What changes to the multilateral system do we need, in order to increase the likelihood that political problems can be resolved through dialogue and compromise rather than violence and brute force?
How can we make sure that democracy support and security-focused policies become complementary and mutually reinforcing?
- Danilo Türk – President of Club de Madrid and President of Slovenia (2007-2012)
- Anda Filip – Director for Member Parliaments and External Relations, Inter-Parliamentary Union
- Corinne Momal-Vanian – Executive Director, Kofi Annan Foundation
- Thomas Guerber – Director, Geneva Centre for Security Sector Governance (DCAF)
- Moderator: Alexander Likhotal – Club de Madrid Advisor and Professor at the Geneva School of Diplomacy and International Relations